Fr. Dave was born in Cleveland in 1935 and raised on the West side by his Slovak mother (born in Vienna) and Italian-born father. He was one of two children. He attended St. Clement’s Grade School, St. Ignatius High School and John Carroll University. Fr. Dave was ordained at the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist on May 28, 1960. He celebrated his First Mass at St. Mark’s Catholic Church on Montrose Avenue on the West Side of Cleveland. He served as an associate pastor at the Church of St. Clair in Lyndhurst for 11 months, then joined the faculty of Borromeo Seminary for 15 years.
He also served as Director of the Cursillo Movement, a renewal born in Spain that grew in the U.S. in the 60’s & 70’s. It promotes proclaiming the best news of the best reality: that God, in Christ, loves us and celebrates the uniqueness, originality, and creativity of each person.
In 1976 he was given the daunting assignment of founding a new parish, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton parish in Columbia Station. He spent 5 ½ years there until he was called to move on to a larger parish with a school, St. John Bosco in Parma Heights, where he spent the last 29 years as their Pastor.